If you are running mobile ads in AdWords, this will be an interesting change to watch...

Mike Friedman

And it is probably long over due. I have seen different estimates over the years saying anything from 20% to as high as 50% of ad clicks on mobile are accidental. I think the 50% is way over estimated based on AdWords data in campaigns I have worked on. If it is anything close to accurate, than mobile ads convert at about quadruple the rate of desktop ads, which I am not buying. Nonetheless, there is no doubt that there are likely a lot of accidental clicks, especially on smartphones.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2015/06/better-click-quality-on-display-ads.html

Better click quality on display ads improves the user and advertiser experience

Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015

Even as smartphone and tablet screen sizes get bigger, it can be hard for our fingers to keep up. It’s still so easy to click when you mean to swipe or to tap on a link or ad you didn’t mean to. When it comes to mobile ad clicks across networks, recent third party studies estimate that up to 50% of clicks are accidental. For advertisers, this can artificially inflate clickthrough rates and increase costs.

As we continue to enhance our display ad formats to make them more engaging, we also strive to maximize click quality. In 2012, we introduced confirmed clicks on banner ads to prompt users to verify that they actually meant to click on an ad. Over the past year, we’ve expanded on those efforts to provide greater automation and require less work from users. Now, to make the experience even more seamless, we’re automatically blocking ad clicks in several instances that frequently lead to accidental clicks. Here are three new updates we’ve made:
  1. Blocking clicks that happen close to the image edge: On mobile image ads, we’ve identified the image border as an area prone to accidental clicks when users are trying to click or scroll to adjacent content. Now, they must click on a more central part of the image to navigate to an advertiser’s website or app. 
  2. Blocking clicks on the app icon: On in-app interstitial ads, users will no longer be able to click on the app icon of an install ad given its proximity to the ad close button. Instead, users must click on the call-to-action button to visit an app store page and install the app.
  3. Adding a clickability delay: Ads will only become clickable after they’ve been onscreen for a short period of time. This gives users enough time to examine the content of an ad and helps eliminate accidental clicks from users who didn’t expect to see an ad.
Blog%2BImages%2B%252841%2529.png

A better experience for both users and advertisers

These latest click quality enhancements improve the user experience by keeping them within their desired website or app and not involuntarily taking them to another page. They also benefit advertisers by reducing costs from accidental clicks and improving conversion rates. To date, we’ve seen a 15% average conversion rate lift on display ads by driving more qualified clicks with these updates.

In the long run, advertisers can further improve performance by re-investing spend saved from accidental clicks back into their display campaigns. To learn more about display campaigns and ad formats, visit our Help Centerand read more on best practices, as well as our latest ad placement policies for apps and websites to maximize click quality.

Posted by Pasha Nahass, Product Manager, Mobile Display Ads

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

By the way, the picture in that article reminds me of something. Summoners War I have never played. Summoner Wars though is a pretty kickass app. It's sort of like chess, but a card game. Tough to explain. The kids love it though. We have the board game and the app.

I have seen a lot of clicks in the last years (2 or so) from mobile, but I can tell you with certainty that they do not convert as well as desktop surfers.

It depends on the project. Usually what I see with mobile ads is they get a better CTR, and sometimes a lot more traffic depending on the niche, but then they convert into sales at a lower rate if it is something that someone has to order and pay for. If it is just a lead generation site where someone enters an email address, the conversions are about the same as desktop.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally...I find we get a lot of browsers on mobile that later become purchasers when they get to their place of business. 

For PPC stuff in particular retargeting via display for me it can be good to build a list of exclusions...even if those are fictitious like "adsenseformobileapps.com"

On mobile some of those clicks come because the element is so small that the click happens by accident.